1. Read the passage then answer the questions.
Construction on Florence's grand cathedral began in 1296. Over a hundred years later, however ,the structure remained unfinished, with an enormous hole in the roof. The designers had intended to top the cathedral with the world's largest dome, but this plan was stymied by architectural limitations. The main factor stalling process was the fact that no one knew how to create such a massive cupola without large, cumbersome support systems.
What is the meaning of cupola as used in the passage?
2. Read the passage then answer the questions.
While the political feats of her husband, President Chiang Kai-shek, may be more widely recognized soong Mei-ling's accomplishments are just notable. As first Lady , soong Mei-ling introduced he husband to Western culture and ideas. Likewise , she served as her husband's emissary , or spokesperson, to the west. During a visit to the United States in 1943, Soong Mei-ling become the second women to address a joint session of the U.S. congress. The trip earned her the esteem of the American public, who praised her passionand determaination, and she raised billions of dollars in aid for her country.
what is the meaning of emissary, as used in the passage?
1. A person sent to a foreign country to do religious work
2. A person sent on a mission to represent another person or country
3. A secret agent
4. A soldier paid by a foreign country
3. Underline , circle or highlight the text from the paragraph that best helps you understand that scrutinized means in